AVID Press Releases
- Ajay and Gurjant on hunger strike for 74 days (9/20/2019) - ICE decision to release is not coming fast enough On Monday evening, ICE transferred Ajay Kumar and Gurjant Singh to El Paso LTAC, a long-term acute care facility. Now having surpassed 70 days on hunger strike, the risk of death grows with each hour. After a press conference on Wednesday, in which images of the ... Read moreAjay and Gurjant on hunger strike for 74 days
- Comment for Sept 18 Press Conference re. Hunger Strike (9/17/2019) - The following statement by Nathan Craig accompanies the Sept 18 press conference advisory demanding the release of hunger strikers at the El Paso Service Processing Center. Asylum seekers come to the U.S. because, for much of the rest of the world, this nation is a beacon of freedom and liberty. Yet when asylum seekers arrive, ... Read moreComment for Sept 18 Press Conference re. Hunger Strike
- Press Conference: Wed Sept 18 to Demand Release of Detained Hunger Strikers (9/17/2019) - *Media Advisory* FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE September 18, 2019 Media Contact: Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy Center (915) 283-4706 Press Conference on Wednesday, September 18th to Demand the Release of Detained Hunger Strikers As Health Deteriorates What: Press Conference to demand the release of two detained hunger strikers in El Paso. EL PASO, TX — Immigration advocates ... Read morePress Conference: Wed Sept 18 to Demand Release of Detained Hunger Strikers
- 2 Indian asylum seekers deported, 2 remain 68 days on hunger strike (9/14/2019) - 2 Indian asylum seekers were deported, one on his 63rd day of hunger strike; 2 men remain on hunger strike, 68 days Last Monday morning, at 3AM, two of the asylum seekers held in El Paso were taken by ICE for removal. One man had ended his hunger strike after complications from the insertion of ... Read more2 Indian asylum seekers deported, 2 remain 68 days on hunger strike
- 57 days – 3 Indian asylum seekers enter 8th week of hunger strike (9/3/2019) - Under harsh treatment, 2 men end their hunger strike Two months ago, a 4 asylum seekers began a hunger strike at the Otero County Processing Center. A week later, 4 additional asylum seekers began a hunger strike at the same facility. All of these men are from northern India and seeking asylum for persecution based ... Read more57 days – 3 Indian asylum seekers enter 8th week of hunger strike
- ICE Force-feeding Indian Asylum Seekers in El Paso And Deported Two Asylum Seekers from Krome (8/21/2019) - On Wednesday August 14, advocates were alarmed when they received notice from one of the men on hunger strike in El Paso Service Processing Center that medical staff had force-fed him. Both his immigration attorney and the attorney appointed to represent him in federal court were completely unaware such measures had been authorized. Federal Judge ... Read moreICE Force-feeding Indian Asylum Seekers in El Paso And Deported Two Asylum Seekers from Krome
- Indian Asylum Seekers Sustain Hunger Strikes at El Paso and Krome Facilities (8/15/2019) - Indian Asylum Seekers Sustain Hunger Strikes at El Paso and Krome Facilities Day 38 in El Paso … ICE seeking force-feeding orders this week | Day 31 in Krome…all three men are in the hospital Seven asylum seekers from India are on hunger strike at ICE detention facilities in two states. There are two groups ... Read moreIndian Asylum Seekers Sustain Hunger Strikes at El Paso and Krome Facilities
- Amidst a community crisis, asylum seeker on 26th Day of Hunger Strike rushed to ER (8/4/2019) - Attorney swarmed by ICE and denied access to her client An Indian asylum seeker on day 26 of his hunger strike for freedom was taken by ICE from the El Paso Service Processing Center to an El Paso hospital emergency room late Saturday afternoon. His whereabouts were unknown for several hours. Advocates finally located him ... Read moreAmidst a community crisis, asylum seeker on 26th Day of Hunger Strike rushed to ER
- Escalation of ICE Detention Hunger Strikes (8/2/2019) - 4 Indian Asylum Seekers Detained in El Paso on 25th Day of Hunger Strike ICE transfers 3 other Indian asylum seekers to Florida on 18th day of second hunger strike in preparation for force feeding EL PASO — Four Indian asylum seekers are entering their fourth week on hunger strike at the El Paso Service ... Read moreEscalation of ICE Detention Hunger Strikes
- 4 Indian Men in El Paso enter 4th Week of Hunger Strike 3 men transferred from Otero enter 3rd Week of Hunger Strike (7/31/2019) - ICE didn’t transfer 2 of them to Aurora, Colorado after all…they abruptly transferred them today to Miami, Florida more than twice as far away. ICE is unable to properly track people in their custody On Saturday July 27, a day after Senator Wyden (Oregon) met with a group of asylum seekers on hunger strike at ... Read more4 Indian Men in El Paso enter 4th Week of Hunger Strike 3 men transferred from Otero enter 3rd Week of Hunger Strike
16834 EPSPC news hunger strike July 2019 items 1 author asc 1
Attanasio, Cedar, Garance Burke, and Martha Mendoza. “Attorney: Hunger-Striking Immigrants Forced to Hydrate.” AP NEWS, July 28, 2019. https://apnews.com/b386012b33a14d4695827a2265ea36f3.
Attanasio, Cedar, Martha Mendoza, and Garance Burke. “Attorney: Officials Force-Feeding Immigrant on Hunger Strike.” AP NEWS, August 15, 2019. https://apnews.com/ca98703afc364cbf89b6acea11b9cb98.
Biswas, Soutik. “The Hunger-Striking Indians Demanding US Asylum.” BBC News, September 26, 2019, sec. India. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-49795527.
Bubenik, Travis. “Asylum Seekers on Hunger Strike Moved to Texas Hospital,” September 18, 2019. https://www.courthousenews.com/asylum-seekers-on-hunger-strike-moved-to-texas-hospital/.
Eric Galatas. “Asylum Seekers’ Hunger Strike Reaches 60th Day.” Eagle Pass Business Journal, September 6, 2019. https://www.epbusinessjournal.com/2019/09/asylum-seekers-hunger-strike-reaches-60th-day/.
Holpuch, Amanda. “Revealed: Man Force-Fed in Ice Custody at Risk Due to ‘substandard Care’ Says Doctor.” The Guardian, August 30, 2019, sec. US news. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/30/ajay-kumar-hunger-strike-asylum-seeker-us-detention.
HRW. “US: Cease Force-Feeding Migrant Hunger Strikers.” Human Rights Watch (HRW), August 20, 2019. https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/08/19/us-cease-force-feeding-migrant-hunger-strikers.
Lanard, Noah. “ICE Is Force-Feeding Hunger Strikers, in Violation of Medical Ethics.” Mother Jones, January 16, 2020. https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/01/ice-is-force-feeding-hunger-strikers-in-violation-of-medical-ethics/.
Martinez, Aaron. “ACLU Demands End to ‘inhumane’ Force Feeding at El Paso ICE Processing Center.” El Paso Times, July 25, 2019. https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/immigration/2019/07/25/aclu-demands-end-inhumane-force-feeding-el-paso-ice-processing-center/1818280001/.
Michaels, Samantha. “How an El Paso Detention Center Is Treating Some Asylum-Seekers Could Violate the UN Convention Against Torture.” Mother Jones, February 9, 2019. https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/02/el-paso-asylum-seekers-hunger-strike-force-fed/.
Montes, Aaron. “Indian Asylum Seekers on Hunger Strike Transferred to El Paso ICE Detention Facility.” El Paso Times, July 18, 2019. https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/2019/07/18/asylum-seekers-hunger-strike-transferred-el-paso-ice-detention-facility/1773475001/.
Moore, Robert. “More Asylum Seekers Stage Hunger Strikes at El Paso Detention Center.” Texas Monthly, July 18, 2019. https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/more-asylum-seekers-stage-hunger-strikes-at-el-paso-detention-center/.
Moore, Bob. “ICE Doctor Defends Force-Feeding Detainees on Hunger Strike as ‘Uncomfortable’ But Necessary.” Texas Monthly, August 16, 2019. https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/ice-doctor-force-feeding-detainees-on-hunger-strike/.
Moore, Robert. “ICE Agrees to Release 2 Indian Hunger Strikers from El Paso-Area Detention Facilities.” Borderzine, September 22, 2019. http://borderzine.com/2019/09/ice-agrees-to-release-2-indian-hunger-strikers-from-el-paso-area-detention-facilities/.
Quintana, Celina. “Migrants Moved to El Paso after 10-Day Hunger Strike at Otero County Facility.” KTSM, July 19, 2019. https://www.ktsm.com/immigration/migrants-moved-to-el-paso-after-10-day-hunger-strike-at-otero-county-facility/.
Resendiz, Julian. “Congressional Visit Ends on Sour Note.” KVEO-TV, August 3, 2019. https://www.kveo.com/news/congressional-visit-ends-on-sour-note/.
Sohrabji, Sunita. “ICE Force-Hydrating Indian Asylum Seekers in El Paso, Texas in Violation of Constitution, Say Immigrant Advocates.” India West, July 31, 2019. https://www.indiawest.com/news/global_indian/ice-force-hydrating-indian-asylum-seekers-in-el-paso-texas/article_2304d8c4-b2fc-11e9-84fa-23c1297e61c9.html.
Memorandum Opinion and Order on Supplemental Emergency Motion for Authorization for Non-Consensual Feeding, No. EP-19-MC-00205-FM (United States District Court Western District of Texas El Paso Division September 12, 2019).